A Hackney family living in mould-infested property

Written by on August 4, 2021

A Hackney family is distraught after having to live for four months in a property infested with mould.

One tenant living at the property, who preferred not to be named, says the problem has persisted since April.

 

 

They don’t care,” she said.

The woman, who lives in the council property in Stoke Newington with her four children, three of whom have special needs, says they are unable to use both bathrooms due to the mould and the smell it emits.

The mould became a problem, she said, when the council left a pipe leaking after a repair job.

 

She says the child, who is autistic, is having to use a portable toilet and reports that her seven-year-old “does not even want to look at the bathroom” and is developing asthma.

“It’s driving me crazy. I don’t know what else to do,” said the tenant.

The leak also caused electrical damage affecting the lighting in the house, posing a fire risk.

The council attended the property to inspect damp and mould in the bathroom on May 25 and repaired the leak causing the mould on June 9.

A building maintenance team attended on July 23 to survey the outstanding work and all electrical issues in the property have been addressed.

 


Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Current track

Title

Artist